Peri•Patetic Rambles

Take a walk with Peri's mom as she navigates this crazy winding path called Life. Peri•Patetic Rambles is part tribute to my schnoodle -- a Westie wannabe who fearlessly bolted from my front door into the world (and sometimes onto busy roadways) and lived life to the end with unabashed tail-wagging, face-licking, snout-investigating zeal and wonderment -- and part amusing miscellany from the gutsier, zanier inner me. P•PR aspires to capture life lived Peri•lously.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Nonsensical O Club (April 27; from MySpace MORE blog)

I am in such an "Ouga Chaka" mood today -- a combination of too much caffeine, too little sleep, too much feistiness toward my slacker board member colleagues (who, as a result of their slackerliness -- heh, love makin' up words! Sometimes I crack myself up ... and then go off on a tangent about it, as you have just witnessed) who DID get enough sleep b/c they haven't been bustin' tail with their committee members (shout-out to Shawna and Kerry -- you ROCK!) to do work to make the whole board look good (grrr) -- oh, and add in a dash of sugar high (yum, Wegmans pastries and fruit with yogurt dip; kudos to my political-apathetic peers in Happy Valley for leaving me my fair portion of breakfast trays to take back to the office. I am The Exulted One at work today! heh). Cook those ingredients up in the midst of a chilly but gorgeous sunny day, complete with fluffy, cottony clouds AND the last day of class (WHOO HOO!) and you get ... Ouga Chaka. That concoction may break down a bit around 5:30 when I have to go represent AGAIN at a Chamber of Business & Industry event (I am underwhelmed by the support from the board, again with the exception of my rockin' commiittee cohorts). Yay, two hours of standing on my feet talkin' up an organization that basically consists of three overachieving persons (yes, my gang -- what can we say, we like to host successful events! We even bought potted plants for the speaker table! AND we got to take 'em home b/c an unexpected fourth showed up, and you can't offer three plants to four speakers, even if they are all guys and none would probably be interested in 'em anyway, so all the better for the -- can't say it enough -- Rockin' Femme Fatale PR Trio!) and a few faithful attendees. But AFTERward is the trio's shining moment -- dinner and drinks to toast our fabulosity at Champs. YES!! And the Ouga Chaka will surely return.

Wow, what a stream-of-consciousness rant. FUN! Hope you followed that. And ya know what? I don't care (at the moment) if any of those slackers sees this rant. I am tired of being one of the few who carry the majority of the responsibility for our group. I am so glad that the group exists -- not just for me but for all the other disconnected YPs out there who think this town ignores them for the sake of retirees and college students, which I have to agree that it does -- but it is not my responsibility to shoulder the burden to keep it going. I don't know what's up with volunteer groups these days. I had a similar problem with a literacy board; I was tired of trying to marshal support from a board majority who didn't seem to care quite enough to do their fair share of work, and I wasn't about to bark orders. Not my style. So I recognized my burnout and moved on. Fortunately, my board tenure for the YP group is up in six months, and I can fall back into the rank and file and just enjoy attending as a plain ol' member. IF the new board can sustain the group, that is. Here's hoping.

So what about the title of this entry? Well, I've been stuck on the nonsensical "O" phrases lately, as witnessed by my current headline. I think I have to start a collection of meaningless O phrases. I wouldn't count "O Brother Where Art Thou?" Not nonsensical. Maybe band names would -- Oingo Boingo, for instance. Also, Osh Kosk B'Gosh. Definitely nonsensical. But not exactly title-worthy, at least not today.

Anyway, if you think of any to add to my collection, leave a comment. Maybe I'll start a bulletin of persistent nonsensical phrases of all kinds. That would be fun! Hmmm, now how the hell do you post a bulletin??? I'm either still too new here or too old to be here at all.

Don't answer that.

heh.

May I just shout here: TWO WEEKS AND FOUR HOURS 'TIL VACATION TIME!!!

Ooh! Just noticed the podcast-posting option. I will have to try that out.

I'll leave you with this one that just came to me -- clearly retro -- "Olly olly oxenfree!" Yeaaaaah. Lovin' the O phrases today!

So now you know MORE! [edited to add: the tagline I added to my MySpace blog]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home